Greg Boyd’s Academic Vita
B.A. in philosophy from the University of Minnesota (1979); M.Div. from Yale Divinity School (Cum Laude, 1982); Ph.D. from Princeton Theological Seminary (Magnum Cum Laude, 1987).
1992-Present: Senior Pastor, Woodland Hills Church, St. Paul, Minnesota
1998-Present: President, ReKnew Ministries
2004- Present: Adjunct Professor, Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota
1986-2004: Professor of Theology, Bethel University, St. Paul, Minnesota.
1986-Present. National and international speaker at various Universities, Churches, Conferences and Seminars.
Authored and Co-Authored Books
- Benefit of the Doubt: Dismantling the Idol of Certainty (Baker, 2013)
- Present Perfect: Discovering God in the Now (Zondervan; 2010)
- Across the Spectrum: Understanding Issues in Evangelical Theology, with Paul Eddy, second ed. (Baker, 2009).
- The Myth of a Christian Religion: Losing Your Religion To Join a Beautiful Revolution (Zondervan; 2009).
- The Jesus Legend: A Case for the Reliability of the Synoptic Jesus Tradition, co-authored with Paul Eddy (Baker Academic 2007); received Christianity Today “Book of the Year Award” — Biblical Studies area.
- Lord or Legend? Wrestling With the Jesus Dilemma, co-authored with Paul Eddy (Baker, 2007)
- The Myth of a Christian Nation: How The Quest For Political Power is Destroying the Church (Zondervan, 2006)
- Escaping the Matrix: Setting Your Mind Free to Experience Real Life In Christ, co-authored with Al Larson (Baker Book, 2005).
- Repenting Of Religion: Turning From Judgment to the Love of God (Baker, 2004).
- Seeing is Believing: The Transforming Power of Imaginative Prayer (Baker, 2004).
- Is God to Blame? Moving Beyond Pat Answers to the Problem of Evil (InterVarsity, 2003).
- Across the Spectrum, with Paul Eddy (Baker, 2002, new ed. 2010).
- Satan and the Problem of Evil, Satan and Evil Series, vol. 2 (InterVarsity, 2001).
- God of the Possible (Baker, 2000).
- God at War: The Bible and Spiritual Conflict, Satan and Evil Series, vol. 1 (InterVarsity, 1997).
- Jesus Under Siege (Victor, 1995).
- Cynic Sage or Son of God? (Bridgepoint, 1995) (received Christianity Today’s “People’s Choice” Top 25 Books award in 1996.)
- Letters From a Skeptic, with Edward K. Boyd (Victor, rev. ed. 2008 ); received CBA Golden Book Award in 1995; now translated into 18 languages.
- Oneness Pentecostals and the Trinity (Baker, 1994)
- Trinity and Process: A Critical Evaluation and Reappropriation of Hartshorne’s Di-Polar Theism Toward a Trinitarian Metaphysic (Peter Lang, 1992)
Contributor to Books
- “A Different Kind of Kingdom,” in Servant God: The Cosmic Conflict Over God’s Trustworthiness, ed. D. Cole (Loma Linda, CA: Loma Linda Press, 2013).
- “Living in, and Looking Like, Christ,” in Servant God.
- “Should Nations Turn the Other Cheek?” in A Faith Not Worth Fighting For, ed. T. York (Cascade, 2012)
- “Ground Level Deliverance Model,” in Understanding Spiritual Warfare: Four Views, eds. J. Beilby, P.Eddy (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2012). War Torn Creation,” in B. Snodderly, S. Moreau, eds. Evangelical and Frontier Mission Perspectives on the Global Progress of the Gospel, Regnum Edinburgh 2010 Series (Osford: Regnum Books International, 2011).
- “Evil,” in Baker Book Encyclopedia of Theological Ethics (Baker, 2011).
- “Principalities and Powers” in Baker Book Encyclopedia of Theological Ethics, (Baker, 2011)
- War Torn Creation,” in B. Snodderly, S. Moreau, eds. Evangelical and Frontier Mission Perspectives on the Global Progress of the Gospel, Regnum Edinburgh 2010 Series (Osford: Regnum Books International, 2011).
- “God Limits His Control,” in Divine Providence: Four Views, ed. D. Jowers (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2010).
- “Evolution as Cosmic Conflict,” in Creation Made Free: Science and Open Theology, ed. J. Oord (Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2009)
- “The Christus Victor View,” in The Nature of the Atonement: Four Views, eds. J. Bielby and P. Eddy (InterVarsity, 2005).
- “Finding the God-forsaken God,” in College Faith, ed. R. A. Knott (Andrews University Press, 2004)
- “Unbounded Love and the Openness of the Future: An Exploration and Critique of Pinnock’s Theological Pilgrimage,” in Semper Reformandum: Studies in Honour of Clark H. Pinnock, eds. S. Porter and A. Cross (Paternoster Press, 2003)
- “The Open Theism View,” in Divine Foreknowledge: Four Views, ed. Jim Beilby and Paul Eddy (InterVarsity Press 2001).
- “The Rebuttal Evidence: Is the Jesus of History the Same as the Jesus of Faith?,” in The Case for Christ, ed. Lee Strobel (Zondervan, 1998).
- “The Self-Sufficient Sociality of God: A Trinitarian Revision of Hartshorne’s Metaphysics,” in Trinity in Process: A Relational Theology of God, ed. Joseph A. Bracken and Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki (Continuum, 1996).
- Contributor in The Quest Study Bible (Zondervan, 1994)
Recently Published Articles and Essays
- “Randomness and Assurance: Does Everything Happen for a Reason?” The OtherJournal.com: An Intersection of Theology and Culture : http://theotherjournal.com/2012/02/27/randomness-and-assurance-does-everything-happen-for-a-reason/
- “The Idolatry of Patriotism,” Relevant Magazine (July/August, 2010).
- “Two Ancient (and Modern) Motivations For Ascribing Exhaustively Definite Foreknowledge to God: A Historic Overview and Critical Assessment,” Religious Studies, 46/1 (March, 2010), 41-59.
- “Advancing the Cruciform Revolution: A Kingdom Perspective on Evangelism,” Word & World,” Vol. 29:4 (Fall, 2009)
- “The Kingdom as a Socio-Political Spiritual Revolution,” Criswell Theological Review, 6/1 (Fall, 2008), 23-42
- “Counter Culture,” Sublime ( June 2007), 59
- “Open Theism, Omniscience, and the Nature of the Future,” co-author with Alan Rhodes and Tom Belt. Faith and Philosophy , 23 (2006), 432–459.
- “Neo-Molinism and the Infinite Intelligence of God.” Philosophi Christi, 5.1 (2003), 187-204
- “Christian Love and Academic Dialogue: A Reply to Bruce Ware,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society (June, 2002), 233-43.
Works in Process
- The Crucifixion of the Warrior God: Reinterpreting Divine Violence in Light of the Cross (InterVarsity, scheduled, 2012)
- In the Shadow of the Cross: Finding the Crucified God in the Old Testament’s Portraits of a Warrior God (publisher pending).
- A Transformed Transcendence: God and the World in Hellenistic Philosophy and the Early Church: Myth of the Blueprint, Vol. 1 (InterVarsity, scheduled 2017)
- A Transformed Sovereignty: Providence, Free Will and Evil in Hellenistic Philosophy and the Early Church: Myth of the Blueprint, Vol. 2 (InterVarsity, scheduled 2017)
Greg Boyd has been married to Shelley Boyd for 34 years. Shelley and Greg live in St. Paul, Minnesota and have three adult children and five grandchildren. In his spare time Greg enjoys exercising and playing drums in a rock band (“Not Dead Yet”) that raises money for children in Haiti.